Friday, October 10, 2008

Learning experience from the research project

I have really learned a lot from the ongoing research project. Being the leader of the team, I have learned how to schedule the whole project and to ensure my members to be actively involved. Besides, I learned how to hear from the team members and make the final decision. This is useful because in my future workplace, it is very likely to be a decision maker. In addition, I am also able to see some problems that our team encountered, for example, our weak English writing skills.

Maybe because three of us are not native English speakers, sometime we felt difficult in phrasing our ideas. For example, we employed plenty of time in writing the hypothesis and problem statement of our research because both of them required a short, clear and formal expression. Indeed we had no advantages in this sort of exercise. We had to take time to choose proper words out of our limited vocabularies and make them well-organized. During the report composing, the same problems occurred. I have tried to make my explanations clear and well-understood. Moreover, after I finished writing, I always relook at my work and tried very hard to get the expressions improved. But the contents still confused the readers during the peer review. This meant my efforts did not contribute significantly to the improvement of the expressions.

In my opinion, the research project is a good practice for me. I have had a positive learning experience through doing this project. I have been able to get to know my advantages and disadvantages in doing researches as well as learning how to be a leader.

5 comments:

Joo Soon said...

Hi..

I also faced the same problems during peer reviews and also from some of the survey respondents and in fact I had to void quite a few surveys due to misinterpretation of the survey questions and also an overlook of my part when checking the survey during the data collection. One of the problems I faced when phrasing my expressions is that I tend to judge the clarity of the sentences based on my understanding and interpretation and while I would try to think of many possible interpretations as possible, my imagination is rather limited and very often I would end up neglecting some of the possible interpretations.

靥靥Caroline said...

Oh, yes, phrasing! this was the most troublesome part in our project! we always spent a lot of time struggling for phrasing. Still it did not sound professional; sometimes, it even misled the readers. I did realize the importance of phrasing also.

good thing to comment, I think we did teamwork very well. thank you leader!

MJ said...

It is still great effort! You must be sure that during the peer review no one is putting you down, zn. We are all trying to help each other out in the mistakes and further improve on our project reports.

Anyway, don't give up yeah? There are still some time to refine what you have over there. I'm sure you will come out with a fantastic report!

hanbin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hanbin said...

I have the same feeling as you do. As a non-English native speaker, we alway tend to think in the way of our own language and translate them into English. The sentences we wrote often sound weird and not very fluent.We always spend a lot of time and try very hard to make them sound nice. Even though, those things still cannot compare with those which English native speakers wrote. What i do is reading more books and articles, and find out how they put it. Anyway, don't worry and keep up the work. I am sure you will have a wonderful writings in future.